Frequently Asked Questions

The Pitt Community College Foundation provides scholarship funding to more than 500 deserving students each year, thanks to generous financial support we receive from individuals and various community partners, including civic clubs, business and industry, and charitable organizations.

Within the past academic year, the foundation awarded more than $350,000 in scholarships to new and returning students in recognition of academic merit and to support students with financial need.

To support Pitt Community College’s commitment to improving student educational outcomes through greater retention and program completion, the PCC Foundation designates 60 percent of its scholarship funding for current and returning students. The remaining 40 percent is utilized to make higher education more accessible to new students.

Scholarship applications are accepted annually between Feb. 1 and April 1. Once the application deadline has passed, a scholarship committee works with PCC Institutional Advancement staff to determine recipients based on a number of criteria, including:

  • Academic excellence
  • Demonstrated leadership
  • Community involvement and volunteerism
  • Financial need
  • Quality of responses to essay questions
  • Terms specified by scholarship donors

Awards are posted directly to student accounts and can be used to offset the cost of tuition, fees, books and educational supplies.

Most scholarships are for an academic year and begin with the fall semester. Students who receive scholarships that cover more than one semester are required to maintain a GPA specified in their award notifications, in order to continue receiving funding. Students can reapply for scholarships each year.